- This event has passed.
Graduate Student Symposium
September 15, 2017 @ 10:00 am - September 17, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
The Graduate Student Symposium or GSS is a low stress environment to practice your research presentation skills, participate in a couple of brief skill workshops, attend a panel of professionals in your field, and an easy (at no cost to you) way for Institute of Marine Sciences (IMS) and campus students to catch up and have a fun weekend together! GSS will take place on September 15th – 17th at IMS in Morehead City, NC. This is a casual student and tech only event! Come join the fun!
Please take a few minutes to complete the GSS Registration Survey linked here!
ADDITIONAL SYMPOSIUM INFORMATION:
– Transportation to and housing at IMS are provided.
– All food is provided, and students are welcome to compete in our annual chili cook off!
– Workshops will include skills like: Leveraging social media and personal websites for your research, Intro to R and Matlab coding, How to navigate NSF GRFP proposals, Intro to bioinformatics, and more!
– This year’s panel will consist of 4-5 professionals in the marine science field, who will give a brief overview of their job descriptions and answer questions about how to be successful in the field after graduate school.
– The day after the symposium (Sunday) is slated for a fun-in-the-sun day on Atlantic Beach before students return to Chapel Hill.
If you have questions or specific suggestions for panel members (i.e. names), contact Amy Yarnall.